(512) 447-7801 |Monday - Friday 7am-6pm | 3916 Woodbury Dr Austin, TX 78704

This is a question that most people don’t know the answer. If you drive an older car or a newer vehicle – it is important to know what kind of freon your vehicle takes if your air conditioning needs to be recharged at any point.

There are two types of refrigerant or freon – the first one is called R12, while the other one is R134a. They may sound just like similar part numbers, but there are major differences between them. And it is important to understand the difference between the two so you don’t accidentally mix up the two and hurt your air condition system.

For starters, R12 was the one that is on older vehicles. The R12 refrigerant is still used in some older cars, especially the vehicles that haven’t been switched over to a more modern and environmentally safer system. Before 1995 most vehicles used R12 refrigerants. Since 1995 many manufactures have converted their air conditioning systems to a system that now uses R134 refrigerant, which is a refrigerant that is not believed to harm the environment.

So, a good rule of thumb is if you own a vehicle that is newer than 1995 your engine should take R135a refrigerant, but if you have a vehicle older than 1995 you are going to be purchasing R12 refrigerant. If you are still concerned you might be using the wrong refrigerant, look under the hood. There is a sticker under the hood that will show you exactly what refrigerant you should use for your engine.

Do you have an older vehicle and want to convert it to a newer system; it is possible to make the conversion if you have an older model. Within minutes you can be on your way to the refrigerant that is better for the planet! If you are still concerned about what you should be using or other questions about your air conditioning unit – give us a call or stop by the shop at Newman’s Automotive. We are happy to help answer any questions that you may have about your engine and your air condition system.

Call Now Button